Career Services/ Career Cruising F.A.Q

• What is Career Cruising?
    • Career Cruising is a service available to all Penn Foster students, intended to provide you with several services to help you maximize your hiring potential, find a job in your area, and organize your professional resume. Career Cruising is used by over 20,000 schools, and has met the ASCA National Standards for Career Development.
  • How can I access Career Cruising?
    • All Penn Foster students are able to take advantage of Career Cruising’s career preparation services. You can access Career Cruising by logging in to the student portal and selecting “Career Cruising” in the upper right hand corner.
    • Students can also sign on Career Cruising by going to CareerCruising.com and using the same login credentials used to access their portfolio.
  • What services does Career Cruising provide?
    • Career Cruising provides a number of services that will put you on the right path to landing a career in your field, including an employment guide, resume builder, lifetime portfolio, career snapshots, and local job postings in your area.
  • Will I still be able to use Career Builder?
    • Students that were already using Career Builder will be able to access both Career Builder and Career Cruising. Since Career Cruising is replacing Career Builder, new students will not have access to Career Builder’s services.
  • What is the portfolio feature?
    • The Lifetime Portfolio feature stores all of your information from Career Cruising, including assessments and resumes, in one location for easy access.
  • How do I access my portfolio?
    • Students can access their portfolios by logging in to Career Cruising and selecting “Portfolio” on the upper navigation bar.
  • What are assessments?
    • Career Cruising’s assessments are designed to help you learn more about yourself and careers that suit your interests. These assessments are helpful before selecting a college or degree program, and can help you choose what career path would suit you best. Assessments include a career matchmaker, skill ratings, an ability profiler to compare your skills with those recommended for different careers, and a learning styles inventory to help you discover how you learn, how to improve your study habits, and more.
  • How do I take an assessment?
    • Students can access Career Cruising’s assessments by logging in and selecting “Assessments” on the upper navigation bar, or by choosing “Explore Assessments” underneath the portfolio login on the main screen.
  • Where can I see the results from my previous assessments?
    • All assessment results can be found in your portfolio.
  • How can I find what career best suits me?
    • There are two ways to find a career that’s right for you choosing Career Cruising.
      • Students can explore the “Career” section of Career Cruising by selecting “Careers” on the upper navigation bar, or by choosing “Explore Careers” underneath the portfolio login on the main screen.
      • Students can find what careers match with their interests by using the Career Matchmaker and Ability Profiler assessments.
  • I don’t know the first thing about looking for work. Where do I start?
    • Career Cruising makes familiarizing yourself with world of job searching easy. Click on “Employment” on the upper navigation bar, and select “Work Search” to read about how to develop a plan for your career search, introducing yourself to hiring managers, networking strategies, job fairs, and more.
  • I have never been to a job interview before. How do I prepare?
    • Interviews are a great way to make a strong impression when meeting a hiring manager. Check out Career Cruising’s “Interview Skills” section under “Employment” for tips on how to prepare, questions you might be asked (and might ask yourself), communication skills, and more to leave you confident for your first interview.
  • I need help writing my resume. Where do I start?
    • Before calling you in for an interview, most hiring managers will want to see a resume. Career Cruising offers tips for starting your resume, as well as ways to polish up your existing one to make it as effective as possible. Click on “Employment,” then “Resumes” in the left-hand column for a step-by-step resume builder.
  • Where can I upload my resume?
    • To upload your resume to Career Cruising, open your portfolio and select “Resume Homepage” in the column to the left.
  • Can I download my revised resume from Career Cruising?
    • Yes! Once you are logged in to the resume builder, select “Print/Export” on the bottom of the left-hand column. You can export your resume as a webpage, Word document, or plain text document.
  • I received a job offer, but I’m not sure it’s right for me. What should I do?
    • Career Cruising offers several tips for considering job offers. Select “Employment,” then “Job Offers” to read about what to do when a business offers you as a job.
  • I landed a job! Now what?
    • Getting started in your new career can also be challenging—especially if you’ve never worked in a professional setting before. Select “Employment,” then “On the Job” for advice on what to do before you arrive for your first day, tips for starting your job, how to acclimate yourself to your work environment, ways to guarantee long-term success, and what to do in case your job doesn’t work out as you had hoped.
  • How do I search for a job in my area using Career Cruising?
    • Searching for local jobs using Career Cruising is easy. Select “Employment,” then choose “Basic Search” for a broad overview of the jobs in your area, or narrow your search by selecting “Advanced Search.”
  • What do I do if I forget my login information?
    • If you’ve forgotten your portfolio login information, select “Forgot my username and/or password” in the upper-left corner of the Career Cruising homepage.
  • Where can I learn more about Career Cruising?
    • You can view Career Cruising’s site map, receive technical support, and download additional resources by clicking the “i” icon next to “Search” in the upper navigation bar.