6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 12:25 PM by Dr. Amanda Teter RSS

examples of environmental modification?

missariel

can anyone give me some examples of environmental modification? i found a few but don't really like them.

this is page 36 in the behavior study unit, by the way.

• Re: examples of environmental modification?
    kristincameron

This is just a shot in the dark, but making changing to the environment such as leaving music on or televisions on, furninture, contents of the kennel if applicable.  Moving the litter box or canine's bedding to a different room. 

missariel

i was kind of looking for different ones.

s3r3h

Missariel,

What about adding more litter boxes when your feline eliminates outside the box,because you may have more than one cat in the household,sometimes cats don't like to use dirty litter boxes/or the other feline might be aggressive and won't let the cat eliminating on the floor to the litter box.

Also if your animal is chewing on surfaces that you do not want them to,you can spray bitter apple spray on the surfaces to try and deter them.

Or if your feline is scratching the furniture try adding a scratching post of their own.

are these the types of things you were talking about? ~Sarah

Dr. Amanda Teter

Hi Ariel!  I don't have that study guide, but I have lots of clinical experience talking to owners about changing the animals's environment.  Some of the suggestions above are great! Here are a few more (again, not entirely sure if they will fit with what you are studying):

Cats:

adding additional litter boxes - change the type of box, the location of box, the type of liter

removing/blocking stimuli - placing curtains or shudders on windows to block view of outside (wildlife/stray animals if causing excitement in house hold animal).

adding stimuli - for some animals this means removing the curtains/shudder, or putting a kitty "window" seat to allow a view of the outside world.  As long as you are not experiencing eliminations outside the box or re-directed aggression this is a good tool for environmental enrichment.

cat toys - food toys that must be played with to release food, cat balls, many many others can add environmental enrichment.  Be careful with the laser toys....often times this can lead to frustration in pets...they chase and chase and never get a "reward"...if using lasers it is best to have a person with the laser (not an automatic) and give a "reward/treat" after the play.

Dogs:  food treats that require "mental" stimulation - dog has to "play" with toy to get the food/treat inside (puzzles, kong, other)

Remove stimuli - blocking windows like mentioned above for cats

adding stimuli - allowing access to windows/glass doors (within reason), music (a recent study shows classical seems to be the most calming)

In the yard - you can add "dog safe" areas for play including giving the dog its own "sand/dirt" box to dig in.

For both dogs and cats there is a pheromone product (Feliway (cat)& Adaptyl(spelling-it used to be called ADP and they just changed the name-it is for dogs)).  This can be used on the animal (collars), in the environment (sprays, diffusers), it helps to calm them and adds to other environment enrichment strategies.

Hoped this helped some!