7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2013 12:43 AM by engineer123 RSS

EPA Practice test

lawsonchris91 .

Found a website that you can take practice test for section 608 epa test. It also has a nate practice test along with a couple others. Thought it might be of some help to somebody.  http://www.hvac-pro.org/</p>

• Re: EPA Practice test

[quote user="lawsonchris91"]

Found a website that you can take practice test for section 608 epa test. It also has a nate practice test along with a couple others. Thought it might be of some help to somebody.  http://www.hvac-pro.org/

[/quote]

Thank you for sharing this link. I like how it does not promote advertisements and just gives you a score. 

As a retired Certified Universal EPA Technician and now Penn Foster Enrollment Advisor, I appreciate your efforts to support our current students. Also, I answered some questions to check the reliability of the EPA practice test and was pleased with the accuracy. 

Thank you again for sharing. 

lawsonchris91 .

No a problem reason why I posted it was because didn't have any annoying ads or anything just pretty straight forward. And since you held a universal cert I have a question for you Mike. I live in TN I don't know what the rules and regulations are in your state but in TN all you have to have is EPA Certification which brings me to my question. I was pondering on which certification I should shoot for when I graduate. Like which one would be better. I want to work for someone for a few years then start my own business. So should I just get like a specific type of Certification one, two, or three or should I just go ahead and get my universal? also if you just try for your universal do you actually have to take the three different certification tests for each type or is the universal just one test with all the different test crammed into one? Been trying to research and get some info on EPA in TN but not really had to much luck on the internet. And also do you know any websites that would have that type of info for my state? Any help is appreciated thanks.

[quote user="lawsonchris91"]

No a problem reason why I posted it was because didn't have any annoying ads or anything just pretty straight forward. And since you held a universal cert I have a question for you Mike. I live in TN I don't know what the rules and regulations are in your state but in TN all you have to have is EPA Certification which brings me to my question. I was pondering on which certification I should shoot for when I graduate. Like which one would be better. I want to work for someone for a few years then start my own business. So should I just get like a specific type of Certification one, two, or three or should I just go ahead and get my universal? also if you just try for your universal do you actually have to take the three different certification tests for each type or is the universal just one test with all the different test crammed into one? Been trying to research and get some info on EPA in TN but not really had to much luck on the internet. And also do you know any websites that would have that type of info for my state? Any help is appreciated thanks.

[/quote]

Depending on what type of work you are looking to do, this will determine your best starting spot. For example, if you plan to do residential work for A/C units you would definitely start with Type II.

Type I is for self-contained units such as window air conditioners and refrigerators. Type III is for industrial/commercial applications. Personally, I took all three exams on the same day. When I took the exam(s), there was not just one test for the "Universal" certification covering all three types. "Universal" was obtained by passing all three exams independently (Type I, II, and  III).

I failed the Type III exam on the first try and therefore my Certification Card showed only the Type I and Type II credentials. Later, I took Type III again and passed. Then I was issued a "Universal" Certification Card.

EPA is the primary Certification credential in the industry because it is illegal to install, purge, evacuate, and purchase refrigerants without it. Additional certifications will show and validate your knowledge and should be considered as your career progresses. These credentials will be more associated with the different types of units available on the market. For example, High Efficiency and  CFC-free refrigerants.

Think of all this like a driver's license. First you get you basic license which gives you the ability to drive. Then later drivers can add things such as motorcycles, CDL, taxi cabs, and limousine credentials. But you must have the one to do the rest.

The bottom line suggestion here is to start with your Type II if residential work is your field. If you want "Universal", then sign up for all three or take Type I and III at a later date. Then add the other credentials as you progress in your career.

Keep up the great work. You are asking all the right questions.

Hope this all makes sense. Please message me back if you need any other clarification.

Thank you guys for all this information!!!

engineer123

I appreciated that info.