5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2013 7:57 PM by jlseaback RSS

help please???

bella_amor

can someone please explain to be how to solve problems like the one's below in pharmaceutical dispensing!!!!

what percent is a solution containing 1000 mg in 1000 ml total??

a suspension containing 2400 mg of active drug in 1000 ml. what is the percentage of drug in the final product??

what percent is a solution containing 150 mg of active  substance in 20 ml??

• Re: help please???

oh no, I haven't gotten to the math portion yet and I fear it.  I do know that there are some helpful Utube videos that walk you through pharmacy math : )

bella_amor

thank you so much...  i will definitely look at some on youtube....the math isnt that hard you just have to take your time with it and learn the concepts the books are trying to teach you...

Thank you, math is just not my thing....I am almost to that point now.   Have you gotten to the point that you have to know the top 200 drugs ?  I keep hearing about this.  I just got my first set of text books today, have already taken the exams and am on the next section, but happy that I have stuff that I can review.

kathy.walker.graves

Hello Shaira,

Percent concentrations are expressed as grams/ml if it is a weight to volume equation.  If we use that ratio to calculate the concentration then:

1.  what percent is a solution containing 1000 mg in 1000 ml total?  We would have to convert the 1000mg to grams.

1000mg = 1 gram  =  1gm/1000ml  =  then divide  = expressed as a decimal  0.001  =  multiply by 100 to express as a percent concentration  =  0.1%

2.  a suspension containing 2400 mg of active drug in 1000 ml. what is the percentage of drug in the final product?  Same applies to this question, weight to volume:

2400mg  =  2.4gm/1000ml  =  expressed as a decimal 0.0024  =  multiply by 100 to express as a percent concentration  =  0.24%

3.  what percent is a solution containing 150 mg of active  substance in 20 ml?  The same applies:

150mg  =  0.15grams/20ml  =  expressed as a decimal 0.0075  =  multiply by 100 to express as a percent concentration 0.75%

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Kathy