8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2012 12:58 PM by pjsapienza RSS

Biology, interesting but difficult to soak in

shawnda

Is anyone else finding Biology very interesting but at the same time feeling like it just will not "stick"????  I so wish there were webinars for this course.  I'm reading, re-reading, looking at the useful material on Aris, making flash cards on my iPad, and I still wonder if any of it is being digested!!!!  I know I'm not an idiot, I know I can do this, just wish I could do it faster!!!

• Re: Biology, interesting but difficult to soak in

keep in mind that the bio exam for the finals is an open book exam so i have been studying with that in mind. I am rememberiing the basic concepts and if they want more than that on the final i will resort to my textbook.

Hi shawnda, there's a great app called fluxcards. It's flashcards for on the go! You won't have to worry about carting your cards around because how many of us never leave the house without our phone! It is free and you make your own flash cards, either on your phone or on Quizlet.com and then import them to your phone. It's a great app and very useful. If you answer a card right so many times, it doesn't show it as often. But if you answer it wrong alot, it will show it more. Biology is alot of information, and I am still studying it even though I've been done with it for a while! I still can't remember half of it, but keep plugging away at it. I wish you luck Also this is a great help....Biology | Khan Academy. Youtube also has some videos that I found useful, if you type in the subject like "pummett squares" and it explains it to you pretty well.

shawnda

Thank you Kendra.  I have an app on my iphone and ipad, gFlash+.  I have purchased some biology cards and also make my own as I study.  it does help.  I am just totally dragging my feet in this course!!!  I do wish they would have some webinars, I think that would help it soak in as well.  Will have to check out Youtube also.

HI shawnda, I had a hard time with Biology in high school. I have not started it here yet. I found that there was no way to remember it all. It helped to break the info. into smaller sections and study those then add on as I got them. It also seemed like the more I stressed on it the harder that is was to retain. and as mentioned earlier, it is open book. and once you start in the field and start using Biology everyday you will be amazed at what you retained. I also recommend keeping your books so that you can always refresh on it later.

heather.washenko

Hello ladies!

Pneumonic devices, charts, and simplification are going to be your best friends through this course.  With a bunch of new terminology and complex processes, these tools have to be personalized to the best way you learn.  If you want to give me an idea of the topic you are on, I can give you some examples on how I’ve attacked the material throughout my experience as a student studying the information and a teacher having to distribute and teach the information.  In addition, check out the “Interactive Resources Page” for this course.  Under the Resources link, I’ve provided supplements that should also help you out.

jenmaynard

I've felt the same way since I started Biology.  There will be webinars coming soon though!  So try to hang in there!